Crime Free Housing
Dear Rental Property Owner,Welcome to Oak Forest Crime Free Multi-Housing program. On November 14th 2006, the Oak Forest City Council passed the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program Ordinance. This program is designed to reduce crime, drugs, and gang activity on rental properties; it has been used effectively in over eighteen hundred communities across the United States and in Canada by the year 2006. Its utility and application continues to grow.
All rental properties are required to be registered with Oak Forest Crime Free Multi-Housing. Enclosed you will find information about our program and forms that need to be filled out and returned. The purpose of this program is to try and keep criminals out of our community and neighborhoods.
1. Apply and pay for your rental property license (ordinance #117.35 thru 117.38)
A residential license shall be issued for a period of one calendar year (January 1 thru December 31).
The cost of rental license, per physical property address, is as follows:
|Physical Property Addresses||Rental License Cost|
One (1) to and including
Six (6) to and including
Eleven (11) to and including
Twenty (20) to and including
Thirty-one (31) to and
Forty-one (41) or more,
2. Phase 1 Seminar (ordinance #117.40)
Consists of the completion of a mandatory seminar conducted here at Oak Forest City Hall, which runs approximately 3-4 hours. It is for property owners and/or their agents or designees. It is taught by trained police personnel which includes crime prevention tactics and explanation of the mandatory implementation of the Crime Free Lease Addendum. This class can be taken in another town but you must get prior approval before attending. After completing the class, you need to provide Oak Forest with a copy of the Phase 1 certificate from the town in which you qualified in.
3. Phase 2 (CPTED) inspection (ordinance #117.39)
Involves assessing/inspecting the physical security and the general appearance of the property, in regards to crime deterrence (refer to CPTED handout for property requirements). An appointment needs to be set up when the property is ready to be inspected, preferably before the tenant moves in. (Phase 2 can be completed before Phase 1)
4. Criminal Background Check (ordinance #117.41)
Required for all new tenants over the age of 18.
5. Crime Free Lease Addendum (ordinance #117.42)
Must be signed by your tenant(s) and any occupants 18 and older. Only the City of Oak Forest Crime Free Lease Addendum will be allowed and any and all generic forms will not be valid.
The criminal background check and the crime free lease addendum should be kept in your files along with your signed lease. If a situation should arise on your rental property, you will need to show proof that a criminal background check was completed and the Oak Forest lease addendum was signed by your tenant(s). If you are unable to produce the documents, you may be summoned and fined up to $750.00.
Please call or preferably email if you have any questions or concerns:
Crime Free Housing/Crime Prevention Officer
- Rental Property License Application
- Lease Addendum
- Phase 2/CPTED Assessment
- Crime Free Housing Ordinance - Revised 2/25/2020
- Landlord's Five Day Notice Form (Used for Non-Payment of Rent)
- Landlord's 10-Day Notice Form (Used for Lease/Rule Violations)
- Search for previous evictions/lawsuits in Cook County (Select "Civil" under Division section, Then search by Name ("Last Name" Space "First Name")
- Illinois State Police Sex Offender Database
- Eviction Process in Cook County
- Eviction Schedule
- Fair Housing - It's Your Right
- International Crime Free Association
- Premises Liability Lawsuits: Landlord vs. Tenant