The City of Oak Forest is investing in its infrastructure by replacing approximately 8,500 linear feet of aging water mains and other related infrastructure, which will significantly reduce the risk of leaks or breaks and increase our residents’ quality of life. Over the next several months, water mains will be replaced on:
- El Morro Lane from Hillside Avenue to Condado Drive
- 151st Street from Condado Drive to 600 feet east
- Hillside Avenue from School Street to El Morro Lane
- School Street from Briar Lane to Hillside Avenue - Currently under construction
- Briar Lane from Colina Avenue to School Street
- Colina Avenue from Chaucer Drive to Briar Lane - Currently under construction
- Chaucer Drive from Colina Avenue to Condado Drive
- Rob Roy Drive from Chaucer Drive to David Lane
- Central Avenue from Albert Drive to Independence Avenue
- Coulter Road from Le Claire Avenue to Laramie Avenue
The city received $3.7 million in federal funding from the American Rescue Plan Act to cover the majority of the $4.2 million infrastructure improvement project.
Residents who live in the areas impacted by the project will receive door hangers, ahead of any work in their area, with information regarding street closures and parking restrictions. The work will include the replacement of existing 50-year-old, 6-inch, 8-inch and 12-inch cast iron and ductile iron water main with new PVC water main. In addition, the project will include new fire hydrants, fittings and service connections. Once the new water mains are installed, pavement, parkways, and sidewalks will be restored.
The project is anticipated to be completed by the end of the year, however, this is weather depending. Minor disruptions in service may be experienced during portions of the project and/or when connecting existing water services to the new water main. We apologize for any inconveniences and appreciate your cooperation.
For project updates, visit our Construction Notices page. If you have any questions, please contact Oak Forest Public Works at 708-535-4090.